Salad of Mâche & Beets
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
Ruby beets and deep green mâche are topped with grated hard-cooked egg in this stunning salad.
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cranberry juice cocktail, or water
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 6 small cooked beets, peeled and cut into thin sticks
- 1 hard-boiled egg (see Tip),peeled
- 9 cups mâche (lamb's lettuce), or Boston lettuce
- Whisk shallot, vinegar, cranberry juice (or water) and mustard in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in oil. Season with salt and pepper. Pour half of the dressing into a separate bowl and set aside. Marinate beets in the remaining dressing for at least 1 hour and up to 6 hours.
- Just before serving, use a rubber spatula to press egg through a coarse strainer into a small bowl. Toss the reserved dressing with the mâche (or Boston lettuce). Arrange on 6 salad plates. Divide the marinated beets over the lettuce and garnish with some of the sieved egg and a grinding of black pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1; cover and refrigerate for up to 6 hours.
- Tip: To hard-boil eggs, place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and cover the eggs with cold water. Let stand until cool enough to handle before peeling.
Per serving: 110 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 227 mg sodium; 490 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (57% daily value), Folate (39% dv), Vitamin C (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 1995