Salad of Mâche & Beets
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
Ruby beets and deep green mâche are topped with grated hard-cooked egg in this stunning salad.
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cranberry juice cocktail, or water
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 6 small cooked beets, peeled and cut into thin sticks
- 1 hard-boiled egg (see Tip),peeled
- 9 cups mâche (lamb's lettuce), or Boston lettuce
- Whisk shallot, vinegar, cranberry juice (or water) and mustard in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in oil. Season with salt and pepper. Pour half of the dressing into a separate bowl and set aside. Marinate beets in the remaining dressing for at least 1 hour and up to 6 hours.
- Just before serving, use a rubber spatula to press egg through a coarse strainer into a small bowl. Toss the reserved dressing with the mâche (or Boston lettuce). Arrange on 6 salad plates. Divide the marinated beets over the lettuce and garnish with some of the sieved egg and a grinding of black pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1; cover and refrigerate for up to 6 hours.
- Tip: To hard-boil eggs, place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and cover the eggs with cold water. Let stand until cool enough to handle before peeling.
Per serving: 110 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 227 mg sodium; 490 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (57% daily value), Folate (39% dv), Vitamin C (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1995