Salad of Mâche & Beets
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
Ruby beets and deep green mâche are topped with grated hard-cooked egg in this stunning salad.
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cranberry juice cocktail, or water
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 6 small cooked beets, peeled and cut into thin sticks
- 1 hard-boiled egg (see Tip),peeled
- 9 cups mâche (lamb's lettuce), or Boston lettuce
- Whisk shallot, vinegar, cranberry juice (or water) and mustard in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in oil. Season with salt and pepper. Pour half of the dressing into a separate bowl and set aside. Marinate beets in the remaining dressing for at least 1 hour and up to 6 hours.
- Just before serving, use a rubber spatula to press egg through a coarse strainer into a small bowl. Toss the reserved dressing with the mâche (or Boston lettuce). Arrange on 6 salad plates. Divide the marinated beets over the lettuce and garnish with some of the sieved egg and a grinding of black pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1; cover and refrigerate for up to 6 hours.
- Tip: To hard-boil eggs, place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and cover the eggs with cold water. Let stand until cool enough to handle before peeling.
Per serving: 110 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 227 mg sodium; 490 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (57% daily value), Folate (39% dv), Vitamin C (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 1995