Salad of Mâche & Beets
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
Ruby beets and deep green mâche are topped with grated hard-cooked egg in this stunning salad.
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cranberry juice cocktail, or water
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 6 small cooked beets, peeled and cut into thin sticks
- 1 hard-boiled egg (see Tip),peeled
- 9 cups mâche (lamb's lettuce), or Boston lettuce
- Whisk shallot, vinegar, cranberry juice (or water) and mustard in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in oil. Season with salt and pepper. Pour half of the dressing into a separate bowl and set aside. Marinate beets in the remaining dressing for at least 1 hour and up to 6 hours.
- Just before serving, use a rubber spatula to press egg through a coarse strainer into a small bowl. Toss the reserved dressing with the mâche (or Boston lettuce). Arrange on 6 salad plates. Divide the marinated beets over the lettuce and garnish with some of the sieved egg and a grinding of black pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1; cover and refrigerate for up to 6 hours.
- Tip: To hard-boil eggs, place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and cover the eggs with cold water. Let stand until cool enough to handle before peeling.
Per serving: 110 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 227 mg sodium; 490 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (57% daily value), Folate (39% dv), Vitamin C (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1995