Salad of Lima Beans, Cured Ham & Mint
From EatingWell: March/April 1997
Cooking the lima beans with mint, chiles and sun-dried tomatoes infuses them with flavor. A bit of prosciutto, crunchy lettuce and a tangy sherry vinaigrette makes it a great dish to serve as part of a tapas spread.
- 2 sprigs fresh mint, plus 3 tablespoons slivered leaves
- 2 dried red chiles
- 2 sun-dried tomatoes, (not oil-packed)
- Salt, to taste
- 2 10-ounce packages frozen baby lima beans
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, trimmed and cut into julienne strips
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Drop in mint sprigs, chiles and sun-dried tomatoes; season with salt. Add lima beans and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let the beans cool in the liquid.
- Whisk together vinegar, oil and mustard in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drain lima beans, discarding mint sprigs, chiles and tomatoes. Place beans in a large bowl. Just before serving, add lettuce, prosciutto, scallions and slivered mint. Drizzle with the dressing and toss to coat well. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve at room temperature.
Per serving: 164 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 5 g fiber; 283 mg sodium; 407 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (36% daily value), Vitamin C (23% dv), Fiber (20% dv), Folate (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 1997