Salad of Lima Beans, Cured Ham & Mint
From EatingWell: March/April 1997
Cooking the lima beans with mint, chiles and sun-dried tomatoes infuses them with flavor. A bit of prosciutto, crunchy lettuce and a tangy sherry vinaigrette makes it a great dish to serve as part of a tapas spread.
- 2 sprigs fresh mint, plus 3 tablespoons slivered leaves
- 2 dried red chiles
- 2 sun-dried tomatoes, (not oil-packed)
- Salt, to taste
- 2 10-ounce packages frozen baby lima beans
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, trimmed and cut into julienne strips
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Drop in mint sprigs, chiles and sun-dried tomatoes; season with salt. Add lima beans and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let the beans cool in the liquid.
- Whisk together vinegar, oil and mustard in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drain lima beans, discarding mint sprigs, chiles and tomatoes. Place beans in a large bowl. Just before serving, add lettuce, prosciutto, scallions and slivered mint. Drizzle with the dressing and toss to coat well. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve at room temperature.
Per serving: 164 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 5 g fiber; 283 mg sodium; 407 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (36% daily value), Vitamin C (23% dv), Fiber (20% dv), Folate (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March/April 1997