Salad of Lima Beans, Cured Ham & Mint
From EatingWell: March/April 1997
Cooking the lima beans with mint, chiles and sun-dried tomatoes infuses them with flavor. A bit of prosciutto, crunchy lettuce and a tangy sherry vinaigrette makes it a great dish to serve as part of a tapas spread.
- 2 sprigs fresh mint, plus 3 tablespoons slivered leaves
- 2 dried red chiles
- 2 sun-dried tomatoes, (not oil-packed)
- Salt, to taste
- 2 10-ounce packages frozen baby lima beans
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, trimmed and cut into julienne strips
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Drop in mint sprigs, chiles and sun-dried tomatoes; season with salt. Add lima beans and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let the beans cool in the liquid.
- Whisk together vinegar, oil and mustard in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drain lima beans, discarding mint sprigs, chiles and tomatoes. Place beans in a large bowl. Just before serving, add lettuce, prosciutto, scallions and slivered mint. Drizzle with the dressing and toss to coat well. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve at room temperature.
Per serving: 164 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 5 g fiber; 283 mg sodium; 407 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (36% daily value), Vitamin C (23% dv), Fiber (20% dv), Folate (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- March/April 1997