Salad of Lima Beans, Cured Ham & Mint
From EatingWell: March/April 1997
Cooking the lima beans with mint, chiles and sun-dried tomatoes infuses them with flavor. A bit of prosciutto, crunchy lettuce and a tangy sherry vinaigrette makes it a great dish to serve as part of a tapas spread.
- 2 sprigs fresh mint, plus 3 tablespoons slivered leaves
- 2 dried red chiles
- 2 sun-dried tomatoes, (not oil-packed)
- Salt, to taste
- 2 10-ounce packages frozen baby lima beans
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, trimmed and cut into julienne strips
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Drop in mint sprigs, chiles and sun-dried tomatoes; season with salt. Add lima beans and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let the beans cool in the liquid.
- Whisk together vinegar, oil and mustard in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drain lima beans, discarding mint sprigs, chiles and tomatoes. Place beans in a large bowl. Just before serving, add lettuce, prosciutto, scallions and slivered mint. Drizzle with the dressing and toss to coat well. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve at room temperature.
Per serving: 164 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 5 g fiber; 283 mg sodium; 407 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (36% daily value), Vitamin C (23% dv), Fiber (20% dv), Folate (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- March/April 1997