Salad of Boston Lettuce with Creamy Orange-Shallot Dressing
Light mayonnaise makes a velvety base for this zesty dressing, which can easily be doubled if you want enough for another meal later in the week.
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped shallot
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 large head Boston lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces (5 cups)
- 1 cup julienned or grated carrot, (1 carrot)
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, rinsed and cut in half
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh tarragon, or chives (optional)
- To prepare dressing: Whisk mayonnaise and mustard in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in orange juice until smooth. Stir in shallot. Season with pepper.
- To prepare salad: Divide lettuce among 4 plates and scatter carrot and tomatoes on top. Drizzle the dressing over the salads and sprinkle with tarragon (or chives), if desired. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 64 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 182 mg sodium; 386 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (120% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv), Folate (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique