Salad of Boston Lettuce with Creamy Orange-Shallot Dressing
Light mayonnaise makes a velvety base for this zesty dressing, which can easily be doubled if you want enough for another meal later in the week.
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped shallot
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 large head Boston lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces (5 cups)
- 1 cup julienned or grated carrot, (1 carrot)
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, rinsed and cut in half
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh tarragon, or chives (optional)
- To prepare dressing: Whisk mayonnaise and mustard in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in orange juice until smooth. Stir in shallot. Season with pepper.
- To prepare salad: Divide lettuce among 4 plates and scatter carrot and tomatoes on top. Drizzle the dressing over the salads and sprinkle with tarragon (or chives), if desired. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 64 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 182 mg sodium; 386 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (120% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv), Folate (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique