Salad of Boston Lettuce with Creamy Orange-Shallot Dressing
Light mayonnaise makes a velvety base for this zesty dressing, which can easily be doubled if you want enough for another meal later in the week.
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped shallot
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 large head Boston lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces (5 cups)
- 1 cup julienned or grated carrot, (1 carrot)
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, rinsed and cut in half
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh tarragon, or chives (optional)
- To prepare dressing: Whisk mayonnaise and mustard in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in orange juice until smooth. Stir in shallot. Season with pepper.
- To prepare salad: Divide lettuce among 4 plates and scatter carrot and tomatoes on top. Drizzle the dressing over the salads and sprinkle with tarragon (or chives), if desired. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 64 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 182 mg sodium; 386 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (120% daily value), Vitamin C (30% dv), Folate (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer