Salad of Bitter Greens & Walnuts
Toasted chopped walnuts are echoed in the walnut oil vinaigrette used to dress this salad of bitter greens.
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar, or white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil, or extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 16 cups washed, dried and torn mixed salad greens, such as escarole, chicory and/or radicchio
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- Whisk together broth, vinegar, oil, shallots, mustard, salt and pepper in a large salad bowl. Add greens and toss thoroughly. Sprinkle with walnuts and additional pepper to taste.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chopped walnuts: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 75 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 85 mg sodium; 373 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (60% daily value), Folate (33% dv), Vitamin C (30% dv).
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)