Salad of Bitter Greens & Walnuts
Toasted chopped walnuts are echoed in the walnut oil vinaigrette used to dress this salad of bitter greens.
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar, or white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil, or extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 16 cups washed, dried and torn mixed salad greens, such as escarole, chicory and/or radicchio
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- Whisk together broth, vinegar, oil, shallots, mustard, salt and pepper in a large salad bowl. Add greens and toss thoroughly. Sprinkle with walnuts and additional pepper to taste.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chopped walnuts: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 75 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 85 mg sodium; 373 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (60% daily value), Folate (33% dv), Vitamin C (30% dv).
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique