Salad of Bitter Greens & Walnuts
Toasted chopped walnuts are echoed in the walnut oil vinaigrette used to dress this salad of bitter greens.
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar, or white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil, or extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 16 cups washed, dried and torn mixed salad greens, such as escarole, chicory and/or radicchio
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- Whisk together broth, vinegar, oil, shallots, mustard, salt and pepper in a large salad bowl. Add greens and toss thoroughly. Sprinkle with walnuts and additional pepper to taste.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chopped walnuts: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 75 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 85 mg sodium; 373 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (60% daily value), Folate (33% dv), Vitamin C (30% dv).
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique