Salad of Avocado & Romaine with Black Olive Dressing
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
In this Middle-Eastern-inspired fruit and vegetable combination, the loamy flavor of black olives balances the richness of avocados, the tart sweetness of orange juice and the bite of onions.
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata or other brine-cured black olives, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 firm but ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 1/2 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce, washed, dried and sliced into thin strips
- Whisk together orange juice, oil, olives, garlic and sugar in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine avocado and onions in a bowl. Pour the dressing over the avocado mixture and toss lightly. Serve on a bed of sliced romaine.
Per serving: 182 calories; 16 g fat (2 g sat, 12 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 193 mg sodium; 339 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (16% daily value), Vitamin C (21% dv), Folate (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Middle Eastern
- March/April 1995