Salad of Avocado & Romaine with Black Olive Dressing
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
In this Middle-Eastern-inspired fruit and vegetable combination, the loamy flavor of black olives balances the richness of avocados, the tart sweetness of orange juice and the bite of onions.
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata or other brine-cured black olives, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 firm but ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 1/2 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce, washed, dried and sliced into thin strips
- Whisk together orange juice, oil, olives, garlic and sugar in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine avocado and onions in a bowl. Pour the dressing over the avocado mixture and toss lightly. Serve on a bed of sliced romaine.
Per serving: 182 calories; 16 g fat (2 g sat, 12 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 193 mg sodium; 339 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (16% daily value), Vitamin C (21% dv), Folate (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 1995