Salad of Avocado & Romaine with Black Olive Dressing
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
In this Middle-Eastern-inspired fruit and vegetable combination, the loamy flavor of black olives balances the richness of avocados, the tart sweetness of orange juice and the bite of onions.
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata or other brine-cured black olives, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 firm but ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 1/2 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce, washed, dried and sliced into thin strips
- Whisk together orange juice, oil, olives, garlic and sugar in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine avocado and onions in a bowl. Pour the dressing over the avocado mixture and toss lightly. Serve on a bed of sliced romaine.
Per serving: 182 calories; 16 g fat (2 g sat, 12 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 193 mg sodium; 339 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (16% daily value), Vitamin C (21% dv), Folate (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Middle Eastern
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March/April 1995