Salad of Avocado & Romaine with Black Olive Dressing
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
In this Middle-Eastern-inspired fruit and vegetable combination, the loamy flavor of black olives balances the richness of avocados, the tart sweetness of orange juice and the bite of onions.
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata or other brine-cured black olives, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 firm but ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 1/2 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce, washed, dried and sliced into thin strips
- Whisk together orange juice, oil, olives, garlic and sugar in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine avocado and onions in a bowl. Pour the dressing over the avocado mixture and toss lightly. Serve on a bed of sliced romaine.
Per serving: 182 calories; 16 g fat (2 g sat, 12 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 193 mg sodium; 339 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (16% daily value), Vitamin C (21% dv), Folate (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Middle Eastern
- March/April 1995