Also known as palak paneer, saag paneer is an Indian classic composed mostly of spinach and paneer—a cow's-milk cheese that is curdled then pressed until firm. Here, we substitute tofu for the cheese and incorporate low-fat yogurt and sliced onions for a healthier version that retains its authenticity.
- 1 14-ounce package water-packed firm tofu, drained
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 medium cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 pound baby spinach
- 1 cup low-fat or nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Cut tofu into thirds lengthwise and eighths crosswise. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring gently every 2 to 3 minutes, until browned on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan and reduce heat to medium. Add onion, garlic, ginger and mustard seeds and cook until the onion is translucent, 4 to 6 minutes. Add spinach in batches small enough to fit in the pan and cook, stirring frequently, until all the spinach has been added and has wilted, 4 to 6 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, combine yogurt, curry powder, cumin and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Add to the pan along with the tofu and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
Per serving: 225 calories; 13 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 5 g fiber; 582 mg sodium; 849 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (220% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Folate (55% dv), Calcium & Iron (30% dv), Magnesium (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 low-fat milk, 2 vegetable,1 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation