Also known as palak paneer, saag paneer is an Indian classic composed mostly of spinach and paneer—a cow's-milk cheese that is curdled then pressed until firm. Here, we substitute tofu for the cheese and incorporate low-fat yogurt and sliced onions for a healthier version that retains its authenticity.
- 1 14-ounce package water-packed firm tofu, drained
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 medium cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 pound baby spinach
- 1 cup low-fat or nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Cut tofu into thirds lengthwise and eighths crosswise. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring gently every 2 to 3 minutes, until browned on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan and reduce heat to medium. Add onion, garlic, ginger and mustard seeds and cook until the onion is translucent, 4 to 6 minutes. Add spinach in batches small enough to fit in the pan and cook, stirring frequently, until all the spinach has been added and has wilted, 4 to 6 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, combine yogurt, curry powder, cumin and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Add to the pan along with the tofu and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
Per serving: 225 calories; 13 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 5 g fiber; 582 mg sodium; 849 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (220% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Folate (55% dv), Calcium & Iron (30% dv), Magnesium (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 low-fat milk, 2 vegetable,1 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique