Also known as palak paneer, saag paneer is an Indian classic composed mostly of spinach and paneer—a cow's-milk cheese that is curdled then pressed until firm. Here, we substitute tofu for the cheese and incorporate low-fat yogurt and sliced onions for a healthier version that retains its authenticity.
- 1 14-ounce package water-packed firm tofu, drained
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 medium cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 pound baby spinach
- 1 cup low-fat or nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Cut tofu into thirds lengthwise and eighths crosswise. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring gently every 2 to 3 minutes, until browned on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan and reduce heat to medium. Add onion, garlic, ginger and mustard seeds and cook until the onion is translucent, 4 to 6 minutes. Add spinach in batches small enough to fit in the pan and cook, stirring frequently, until all the spinach has been added and has wilted, 4 to 6 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, combine yogurt, curry powder, cumin and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Add to the pan along with the tofu and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
Per serving: 225 calories; 13 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 5 g fiber; 582 mg sodium; 849 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (220% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Folate (55% dv), Calcium & Iron (30% dv), Magnesium (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 low-fat milk, 2 vegetable,1 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique