Also known as palak paneer, saag paneer is an Indian classic composed mostly of spinach and paneer—a cow's-milk cheese that is curdled then pressed until firm. Here, we substitute tofu for the cheese and incorporate low-fat yogurt and sliced onions for a healthier version that retains its authenticity.
- 1 14-ounce package water-packed firm tofu, drained
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 medium cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 pound baby spinach
- 1 cup low-fat or nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Cut tofu into thirds lengthwise and eighths crosswise. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring gently every 2 to 3 minutes, until browned on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan and reduce heat to medium. Add onion, garlic, ginger and mustard seeds and cook until the onion is translucent, 4 to 6 minutes. Add spinach in batches small enough to fit in the pan and cook, stirring frequently, until all the spinach has been added and has wilted, 4 to 6 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, combine yogurt, curry powder, cumin and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Add to the pan along with the tofu and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
Per serving: 225 calories; 13 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 5 g fiber; 582 mg sodium; 849 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (220% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Folate (55% dv), Calcium & Iron (30% dv), Magnesium (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 low-fat milk, 2 vegetable,1 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique