Rutabaga & Potato Puree
From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Earthy rutabagas and garlic add flavor to mashed potatoes. They can be made ahead, making them the perfect choice for entertaining. Turnips can be substituted for the rutabagas, but the puree will not have the same creamy yellow color. Make it a meal: Serve with Bistro Beef Tenderloin and Tuscan Cabbage and Mushrooms for a perfect winter entertaining menu.
- 1 1/2 pounds rutabaga, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- Salt, to taste
- 1/3 cup nonfat milk, scaled
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- Freshly ground white or black pepper, to taste
- Place rutabagas and potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Add garlic and season with salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook until the vegetables are very tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain thoroughly and return the vegetables to the pan. Place the pan over low heat and toss for about 1 minute to dry the vegetables slightly.
- Mash the rutabagas, potatoes and garlic with a hand mixer or potato masher. Add enough milk to make a smooth puree. Stir in thyme and season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat in a microwave oven at 90% power, covered with a lid or wax paper, for 7 to 10 minutes.
Per serving: 100 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 59 mg sodium; 666 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (63% daily value), Potassium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- November/December 1992