Rutabaga & Potato Puree
From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Earthy rutabagas and garlic add flavor to mashed potatoes. They can be made ahead, making them the perfect choice for entertaining. Turnips can be substituted for the rutabagas, but the puree will not have the same creamy yellow color. Make it a meal: Serve with Bistro Beef Tenderloin and Tuscan Cabbage and Mushrooms for a perfect winter entertaining menu.
- 1 1/2 pounds rutabaga, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- Salt, to taste
- 1/3 cup nonfat milk, scaled
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- Freshly ground white or black pepper, to taste
- Place rutabagas and potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Add garlic and season with salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook until the vegetables are very tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain thoroughly and return the vegetables to the pan. Place the pan over low heat and toss for about 1 minute to dry the vegetables slightly.
- Mash the rutabagas, potatoes and garlic with a hand mixer or potato masher. Add enough milk to make a smooth puree. Stir in thyme and season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat in a microwave oven at 90% power, covered with a lid or wax paper, for 7 to 10 minutes.
Per serving: 100 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 59 mg sodium; 666 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (63% daily value), Potassium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- November/December 1992