Rutabaga & Potato Puree
From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Earthy rutabagas and garlic add flavor to mashed potatoes. They can be made ahead, making them the perfect choice for entertaining. Turnips can be substituted for the rutabagas, but the puree will not have the same creamy yellow color. Make it a meal: Serve with Bistro Beef Tenderloin and Tuscan Cabbage and Mushrooms for a perfect winter entertaining menu.
- 1 1/2 pounds rutabaga, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- Salt, to taste
- 1/3 cup nonfat milk, scaled
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- Freshly ground white or black pepper, to taste
- Place rutabagas and potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Add garlic and season with salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook until the vegetables are very tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain thoroughly and return the vegetables to the pan. Place the pan over low heat and toss for about 1 minute to dry the vegetables slightly.
- Mash the rutabagas, potatoes and garlic with a hand mixer or potato masher. Add enough milk to make a smooth puree. Stir in thyme and season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat in a microwave oven at 90% power, covered with a lid or wax paper, for 7 to 10 minutes.
Per serving: 100 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 59 mg sodium; 666 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (63% daily value), Potassium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- November/December 1992