Rutabaga & Potato Puree
From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Earthy rutabagas and garlic add flavor to mashed potatoes. They can be made ahead, making them the perfect choice for entertaining. Turnips can be substituted for the rutabagas, but the puree will not have the same creamy yellow color. Make it a meal: Serve with Bistro Beef Tenderloin and Tuscan Cabbage and Mushrooms for a perfect winter entertaining menu.
- 1 1/2 pounds rutabaga, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- Salt, to taste
- 1/3 cup nonfat milk, scaled
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- Freshly ground white or black pepper, to taste
- Place rutabagas and potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Add garlic and season with salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook until the vegetables are very tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain thoroughly and return the vegetables to the pan. Place the pan over low heat and toss for about 1 minute to dry the vegetables slightly.
- Mash the rutabagas, potatoes and garlic with a hand mixer or potato masher. Add enough milk to make a smooth puree. Stir in thyme and season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat in a microwave oven at 90% power, covered with a lid or wax paper, for 7 to 10 minutes.
Per serving: 100 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 59 mg sodium; 666 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (63% daily value), Potassium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- November/December 1992