I've never made a stew with such fantastic flavor. Additionally, I felt the dish was very healthful. I know that cinnamon, turmeric, coriander, and cayenne are good for health. I altered the recipe slightly by using coconut oil for browning the beef and vegetables; I feel it is a better choice for cooking since it is more tolerant of heat without breaking down. Also, although I'm not gluten free I try to minimize the amount of gluten I eat, so I served it over brown rice instead of the couscous, and it was very satisfying.
Couscous with Rutabaga & Beef Stew
From EatingWell: January/February 2012
In this riff on North African tradition, couscous is served as the base for a beef and rutabaga stew that’s made with an intoxicating blend of cinnamon, turmeric, coriander and cayenne (optional if you don’t like it spicy). Garnish with fresh parsley or cilantro and serve with sliced cucumber.
4 Reviews for Couscous with Rutabaga & Beef Stew
This dish had great flavor. I loved the way everything interacted together. Will definitely make this dish again, though I will double the recipe.
Dish was very good. I followed recipe exactly. Next time I will make extra couscous, and add more rutabaga. In my household this only served 3. Would probably be good with chicken as well.
We are now on a serious budget, so this was a great recipe that my husband and our two teenage boys thought was delicious and filling. Because I couldn't find turmeric or coriander in small quantities or for a low price, I used cumin with the cinnamon for a warm and toasty spice flavor. (We are all spice wimps so no cayenne for us.) I simmered the rutabagas longer than required to make sure they were nice and tender in this one pot meal.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- 5 “bad” foods you should be eating (331 comments)
- The #1 food you should eat (and probably don't) (211 comments)
- How to pickle anything (no canning necessary) (125 comments)
- 3 reasons you should snack on popcorn (124 comments)
- 3 reasons you should reach for canola oil when you’re cooking (102 comments)
- What’s Fresh: Is corn healthy or not? (99 comments)
- The best breakfast foods for weight loss (78 comments)
- How to make a healthy smoothie: best smoothie ingredients & 10 to ditch (76 comments)
- Is Coconut Oil Healthier Than Butter? (76 comments)
- Trying to save money? 15 foods you don’t need to buy organic (72 comments)