Rustic Mexican Stew
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
A fiesta-in-a-bowl, this stew gets vibrant colors and flavor from scallions, carrots, jalapenos, tomatoes, cilantro and a whole ear of corn. Top it with diced avocado, hot sauce or salsa.
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 scallions, sliced, white and green parts divided
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 ear of corn, husked and cut into 4 pieces
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, garlic, scallion whites, carrot, jalapeno, salt and pepper to the pot and stir to combine. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the vegetables begin to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Uncover, add cumin and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broth, tomatoes, corn and the cooked chicken; increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Cover, reduce heat to maintain a slow simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in scallion greens, lime juice and cilantro.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Add all the ingredients except the cilantro. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat; stir in cilantro before serving.
Per serving: 277 calories; 14 g fat (3 g sat, 8 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 20 g protein; 4 g fiber; 464 mg sodium; 561 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (120% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Potassium (16% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell Serves Two