Rustic Mexican Stew
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
A fiesta-in-a-bowl, this stew gets vibrant colors and flavor from scallions, carrots, jalapenos, tomatoes, cilantro and a whole ear of corn. Top it with diced avocado, hot sauce or salsa.
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 scallions, sliced, white and green parts divided
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 ear of corn, husked and cut into 4 pieces
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, garlic, scallion whites, carrot, jalapeno, salt and pepper to the pot and stir to combine. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the vegetables begin to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Uncover, add cumin and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broth, tomatoes, corn and the cooked chicken; increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Cover, reduce heat to maintain a slow simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in scallion greens, lime juice and cilantro.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Add all the ingredients except the cilantro. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat; stir in cilantro before serving.
Per serving: 277 calories; 14 g fat (3 g sat, 8 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 20 g protein; 4 g fiber; 464 mg sodium; 561 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (120% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Potassium (16% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell Serves Two