Rustic Mexican Stew
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
A fiesta-in-a-bowl, this stew gets vibrant colors and flavor from scallions, carrots, jalapenos, tomatoes, cilantro and a whole ear of corn. Top it with diced avocado, hot sauce or salsa.
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 scallions, sliced, white and green parts divided
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 ear of corn, husked and cut into 4 pieces
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, garlic, scallion whites, carrot, jalapeno, salt and pepper to the pot and stir to combine. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the vegetables begin to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Uncover, add cumin and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broth, tomatoes, corn and the cooked chicken; increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Cover, reduce heat to maintain a slow simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in scallion greens, lime juice and cilantro.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Add all the ingredients except the cilantro. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat; stir in cilantro before serving.
Per serving: 277 calories; 14 g fat (3 g sat, 8 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 20 g protein; 4 g fiber; 464 mg sodium; 561 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (120% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Potassium (16% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell Serves Two