Rum-Raisin Frozen Yogurt
From EatingWell: Charter Issue, 1990
Dark rum is essential in making this rum-raisin frozen yogurt. It mellows when the raisins have a chance to drink up the rum overnight.
- 1/3 cup dark rum
- 1 cup dark seedless raisins
- 1/3 cup nonfat evaporated milk
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 quart low-fat plain yogurt
- Combine rum and raisins in a small bowl and let stand for several hours or overnight.
- Combine milk and gelatin in a small saucepan and allow gelatin to soften, about 1 minute. Stir in sugar and cook, stirring, over medium-low heat until sugar and gelatin are just dissolved. Remove from the heat and add corn syrup and vanilla. Let cool and stir in yogurt and the rum-raisin mixture.
- Transfer to an ice-cream freezer and freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. Pack in a container and store in the freezer for at least 2 to 3 hours before serving. Allow to soften in the refrigerator for 1/2 hour before serving in chilled dishes.
Per serving: 343 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 65 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 1 g fiber; 157 mg sodium; 653 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (19% daily value), Calcium (37% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 reduced-fat milk
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Charter Issue, 1990
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)