Rum-Raisin Bread Pudding
Bread pudding is the king of comfort desserts, and this version, inspired by rum-raisin ice cream, includes whole-wheat bread for added goodness. Nonfat evaporated milk subs for full-fat dairy and we use fewer eggs, all of which helps to lighten this warm dessert: it has only a tiny fraction of the fat and half the calories of a typical bread pudding. Enjoy it with a scoop of low-fat vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt.
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons rum, or brandy
- 4 slices whole-wheat bread, torn into small pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 1 12-ounce can nonfat evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Put raisins in a small bowl, sprinkle with rum (or brandy) and set aside to soak for 10 minutes. Spread bread in an even layer in the prepared pan.
- Whisk eggs in a medium bowl. Add evaporated milk, brown sugar, vanilla and nutmeg; whisk until the sugar dissolves. Stir in the rum-soaked raisins. Pour the mixture over the bread. Mix in any unsoaked bread pieces with a fork. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Bake the pudding until puffed and set in the center, 35 to 40 minutes. Serve warm.
Per serving: 278 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 73 mg cholesterol; 52 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 2 g fiber; 194 mg sodium; 411 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (24% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less