Rum-Raisin Bread Pudding
Bread pudding is the king of comfort desserts, and this version, inspired by rum-raisin ice cream, includes whole-wheat bread for added goodness. Nonfat evaporated milk subs for full-fat dairy and we use fewer eggs, all of which helps to lighten this warm dessert: it has only a tiny fraction of the fat and half the calories of a typical bread pudding. Enjoy it with a scoop of low-fat vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt.
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons rum, or brandy
- 4 slices whole-wheat bread, torn into small pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 1 12-ounce can nonfat evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Put raisins in a small bowl, sprinkle with rum (or brandy) and set aside to soak for 10 minutes. Spread bread in an even layer in the prepared pan.
- Whisk eggs in a medium bowl. Add evaporated milk, brown sugar, vanilla and nutmeg; whisk until the sugar dissolves. Stir in the rum-soaked raisins. Pour the mixture over the bread. Mix in any unsoaked bread pieces with a fork. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Bake the pudding until puffed and set in the center, 35 to 40 minutes. Serve warm.
Per serving: 278 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 73 mg cholesterol; 52 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 2 g fiber; 194 mg sodium; 411 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (24% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation