From EatingWell: November/December 1998
Royal icing hardens when it dries, making it particularly useful when decorating sugar cookies.
- 2 teaspoons dried egg whites, such as Just Whites, or 4 teaspoons meringue powder
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon, or almond extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- Food coloring, (optional)
- Combine dried egg whites (or meringue powder), water, cream of tartar and lemon (or almond) extract in a large bowl. Add sugar and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until stiff peaks form, 6 to 12 minutes.
- Add water if needed to adjust icing consistency for piping or spreading. Add food coloring, if desired. Keep a damp cloth or paper towel directly on the icing while you work, to keep it from drying out.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: If not using immediately, cover icing with a damp cloth and plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Beat again before using.
Per teaspoon: 20 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 1 mg sodium; 4 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 1998