From EatingWell: November/December 1998
Royal icing hardens when it dries, making it particularly useful when decorating sugar cookies.
- 2 teaspoons dried egg whites, such as Just Whites, or 4 teaspoons meringue powder
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon, or almond extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- Food coloring, (optional)
- Combine dried egg whites (or meringue powder), water, cream of tartar and lemon (or almond) extract in a large bowl. Add sugar and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until stiff peaks form, 6 to 12 minutes.
- Add water if needed to adjust icing consistency for piping or spreading. Add food coloring, if desired. Keep a damp cloth or paper towel directly on the icing while you work, to keep it from drying out.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: If not using immediately, cover icing with a damp cloth and plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Beat again before using.
Per teaspoon: 20 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 1 mg sodium; 4 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- November/December 1998