From EatingWell: November/December 1998
Royal icing hardens when it dries, making it particularly useful when decorating sugar cookies.
- 2 teaspoons dried egg whites, such as Just Whites, or 4 teaspoons meringue powder
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon, or almond extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- Food coloring, (optional)
- Combine dried egg whites (or meringue powder), water, cream of tartar and lemon (or almond) extract in a large bowl. Add sugar and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until stiff peaks form, 6 to 12 minutes.
- Add water if needed to adjust icing consistency for piping or spreading. Add food coloring, if desired. Keep a damp cloth or paper towel directly on the icing while you work, to keep it from drying out.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: If not using immediately, cover icing with a damp cloth and plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Beat again before using.
Per teaspoon: 20 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 1 mg sodium; 4 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1998