Rosti Potatoes with Ham & Cheese
From EatingWell: March/April 1993
Traditional versions of this crisp Swiss potato cake virtually swim in butter. By baking the cake, we were able to dramatically reduce the fat yet retain crispness.
- 2 pounds all-purpose potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold (about 8), peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions, (4 scallions)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2/3 cup smoked ham, finely chopped (3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, (1 1/2 ounces)
- Position oven rack at the lowest level. Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Cover potatoes with cold water in a medium saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Drain and refresh with cold water. When cool enough to handle, grate the potatoes. Transfer to a bowl. Add scallions, salt and pepper; toss with a fork until mixed.
- Coat a 10-inch pie plate or cast-iron skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Brush 1 teaspoon oil evenly over the surface. Spread half of the potato mixture evenly over the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle with ham and cheese. Spread the remaining potato mixture over top, pressing evenly. Brush the remaining 1 teaspoon oil over the surface. Bake until the underside is golden and the potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Carefully loosen edges with a thin metal spatula or a knife. Shake the pie plate or pan to be sure the potatoes are sliding freely. Invert a serving platter over the pie plate or pan. Grasp the platter and the baking dish with oven mitts and carefully turn over. Remove the pie plate or pan. Cut into wedges with a serrated knife. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Per serving: 185 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 395 mg sodium; 839 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Other European
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 1993