Rosti Potatoes with Ham & Cheese
From EatingWell: March/April 1993
Traditional versions of this crisp Swiss potato cake virtually swim in butter. By baking the cake, we were able to dramatically reduce the fat yet retain crispness.
- 2 pounds all-purpose potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold (about 8), peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions, (4 scallions)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2/3 cup smoked ham, finely chopped (3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, (1 1/2 ounces)
- Position oven rack at the lowest level. Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Cover potatoes with cold water in a medium saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Drain and refresh with cold water. When cool enough to handle, grate the potatoes. Transfer to a bowl. Add scallions, salt and pepper; toss with a fork until mixed.
- Coat a 10-inch pie plate or cast-iron skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Brush 1 teaspoon oil evenly over the surface. Spread half of the potato mixture evenly over the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle with ham and cheese. Spread the remaining potato mixture over top, pressing evenly. Brush the remaining 1 teaspoon oil over the surface. Bake until the underside is golden and the potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Carefully loosen edges with a thin metal spatula or a knife. Shake the pie plate or pan to be sure the potatoes are sliding freely. Invert a serving platter over the pie plate or pan. Grasp the platter and the baking dish with oven mitts and carefully turn over. Remove the pie plate or pan. Cut into wedges with a serrated knife. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Per serving: 185 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 395 mg sodium; 839 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Other European
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- March/April 1993