Rosti Potatoes with Ham & Cheese
From EatingWell: March/April 1993
Traditional versions of this crisp Swiss potato cake virtually swim in butter. By baking the cake, we were able to dramatically reduce the fat yet retain crispness.
- 2 pounds all-purpose potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold (about 8), peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions, (4 scallions)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2/3 cup smoked ham, finely chopped (3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, (1 1/2 ounces)
- Position oven rack at the lowest level. Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Cover potatoes with cold water in a medium saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Drain and refresh with cold water. When cool enough to handle, grate the potatoes. Transfer to a bowl. Add scallions, salt and pepper; toss with a fork until mixed.
- Coat a 10-inch pie plate or cast-iron skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Brush 1 teaspoon oil evenly over the surface. Spread half of the potato mixture evenly over the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle with ham and cheese. Spread the remaining potato mixture over top, pressing evenly. Brush the remaining 1 teaspoon oil over the surface. Bake until the underside is golden and the potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Carefully loosen edges with a thin metal spatula or a knife. Shake the pie plate or pan to be sure the potatoes are sliding freely. Invert a serving platter over the pie plate or pan. Grasp the platter and the baking dish with oven mitts and carefully turn over. Remove the pie plate or pan. Cut into wedges with a serrated knife. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Per serving: 185 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 395 mg sodium; 839 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Other European
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1993