Rosti Potatoes with Ham & Cheese
From EatingWell: March/April 1993
Traditional versions of this crisp Swiss potato cake virtually swim in butter. By baking the cake, we were able to dramatically reduce the fat yet retain crispness.
- 2 pounds all-purpose potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold (about 8), peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions, (4 scallions)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2/3 cup smoked ham, finely chopped (3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, (1 1/2 ounces)
- Position oven rack at the lowest level. Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Cover potatoes with cold water in a medium saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Drain and refresh with cold water. When cool enough to handle, grate the potatoes. Transfer to a bowl. Add scallions, salt and pepper; toss with a fork until mixed.
- Coat a 10-inch pie plate or cast-iron skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Brush 1 teaspoon oil evenly over the surface. Spread half of the potato mixture evenly over the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle with ham and cheese. Spread the remaining potato mixture over top, pressing evenly. Brush the remaining 1 teaspoon oil over the surface. Bake until the underside is golden and the potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Carefully loosen edges with a thin metal spatula or a knife. Shake the pie plate or pan to be sure the potatoes are sliding freely. Invert a serving platter over the pie plate or pan. Grasp the platter and the baking dish with oven mitts and carefully turn over. Remove the pie plate or pan. Cut into wedges with a serrated knife. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Per serving: 185 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 395 mg sodium; 839 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Other European
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1993