This traditional potato dish hails from Switzerland and is commonly eaten for breakfast. Try it for brunch with Poached Eggs and your favorite chicken breakfast sausage.
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, (about 4), peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Cut out a 10-inch circle of parchment paper or foil and coat one side with cooking spray.
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with cold water and add salt to taste. Cover and bring to a boil. When the water reaches a full boil, drain the potatoes and refresh under cold water. (They will not be fully cooked.) Pat dry.
- Grate the potatoes (a food processor fitted with a grating disc works well) and place in a large bowl. Add mustard, salt and pepper; toss to combine. Gently mix in scallions.
- Heat oil and butter in a 10-inch cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Use a pastry brush to spread the fat evenly over the bottom and about 1 inch up the sides of the skillet. Add the potato mixture and press firmly into a large pancake. Place the paper or foil circle, sprayed-side down, directly on top of the potatoes. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the potatoes are golden on the bottom, about 30 minutes.
- Remove the paper or foil circle and use a thin metal spatula to loosen bottom and sides of the rösti. Invert a serving plate over the skillet. Grasping the skillet and plate (protect hands with oven mitts), invert and unmold the rösti. Cut into wedges and serve.
Per serving: 145 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 235 mg sodium; 489 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Other European
- Ease of Preparation