This traditional potato dish hails from Switzerland and is commonly eaten for breakfast. Try it for brunch with Poached Eggs and your favorite chicken breakfast sausage.
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, (about 4), peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Cut out a 10-inch circle of parchment paper or foil and coat one side with cooking spray.
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with cold water and add salt to taste. Cover and bring to a boil. When the water reaches a full boil, drain the potatoes and refresh under cold water. (They will not be fully cooked.) Pat dry.
- Grate the potatoes (a food processor fitted with a grating disc works well) and place in a large bowl. Add mustard, salt and pepper; toss to combine. Gently mix in scallions.
- Heat oil and butter in a 10-inch cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Use a pastry brush to spread the fat evenly over the bottom and about 1 inch up the sides of the skillet. Add the potato mixture and press firmly into a large pancake. Place the paper or foil circle, sprayed-side down, directly on top of the potatoes. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the potatoes are golden on the bottom, about 30 minutes.
- Remove the paper or foil circle and use a thin metal spatula to loosen bottom and sides of the rösti. Invert a serving plate over the skillet. Grasping the skillet and plate (protect hands with oven mitts), invert and unmold the rösti. Cut into wedges and serve.
Per serving: 145 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 235 mg sodium; 489 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Other European
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique