This traditional potato dish hails from Switzerland and is commonly eaten for breakfast. Try it for brunch with Poached Eggs and your favorite chicken breakfast sausage.
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, (about 4), peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Cut out a 10-inch circle of parchment paper or foil and coat one side with cooking spray.
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with cold water and add salt to taste. Cover and bring to a boil. When the water reaches a full boil, drain the potatoes and refresh under cold water. (They will not be fully cooked.) Pat dry.
- Grate the potatoes (a food processor fitted with a grating disc works well) and place in a large bowl. Add mustard, salt and pepper; toss to combine. Gently mix in scallions.
- Heat oil and butter in a 10-inch cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Use a pastry brush to spread the fat evenly over the bottom and about 1 inch up the sides of the skillet. Add the potato mixture and press firmly into a large pancake. Place the paper or foil circle, sprayed-side down, directly on top of the potatoes. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the potatoes are golden on the bottom, about 30 minutes.
- Remove the paper or foil circle and use a thin metal spatula to loosen bottom and sides of the rösti. Invert a serving plate over the skillet. Grasping the skillet and plate (protect hands with oven mitts), invert and unmold the rösti. Cut into wedges and serve.
Per serving: 145 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 235 mg sodium; 489 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Other European
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique