This traditional potato dish hails from Switzerland and is commonly eaten for breakfast. Try it for brunch with Poached Eggs and your favorite chicken breakfast sausage.
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, (about 4), peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Cut out a 10-inch circle of parchment paper or foil and coat one side with cooking spray.
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with cold water and add salt to taste. Cover and bring to a boil. When the water reaches a full boil, drain the potatoes and refresh under cold water. (They will not be fully cooked.) Pat dry.
- Grate the potatoes (a food processor fitted with a grating disc works well) and place in a large bowl. Add mustard, salt and pepper; toss to combine. Gently mix in scallions.
- Heat oil and butter in a 10-inch cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Use a pastry brush to spread the fat evenly over the bottom and about 1 inch up the sides of the skillet. Add the potato mixture and press firmly into a large pancake. Place the paper or foil circle, sprayed-side down, directly on top of the potatoes. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the potatoes are golden on the bottom, about 30 minutes.
- Remove the paper or foil circle and use a thin metal spatula to loosen bottom and sides of the rösti. Invert a serving plate over the skillet. Grasping the skillet and plate (protect hands with oven mitts), invert and unmold the rösti. Cut into wedges and serve.
Per serving: 145 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 235 mg sodium; 489 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Other European
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour