This traditional potato dish hails from Switzerland and is commonly eaten for breakfast. Try it for brunch with Poached Eggs and your favorite chicken breakfast sausage.
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, (about 4), peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Cut out a 10-inch circle of parchment paper or foil and coat one side with cooking spray.
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with cold water and add salt to taste. Cover and bring to a boil. When the water reaches a full boil, drain the potatoes and refresh under cold water. (They will not be fully cooked.) Pat dry.
- Grate the potatoes (a food processor fitted with a grating disc works well) and place in a large bowl. Add mustard, salt and pepper; toss to combine. Gently mix in scallions.
- Heat oil and butter in a 10-inch cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Use a pastry brush to spread the fat evenly over the bottom and about 1 inch up the sides of the skillet. Add the potato mixture and press firmly into a large pancake. Place the paper or foil circle, sprayed-side down, directly on top of the potatoes. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the potatoes are golden on the bottom, about 30 minutes.
- Remove the paper or foil circle and use a thin metal spatula to loosen bottom and sides of the rösti. Invert a serving plate over the skillet. Grasping the skillet and plate (protect hands with oven mitts), invert and unmold the rösti. Cut into wedges and serve.
Per serving: 145 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 235 mg sodium; 489 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Other European
- Ease of Preparation