Rosemary-Pine Nut Biscotti
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
These amazing olive oil biscotti are studded with rich, buttery-tasting pine nuts. Try them alongside fruit sorbet, cheese or summer peaches.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup semolina flour (see Tip) or fine cornmeal
- 2/3 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine all-purpose flour, semolina flour (or cornmeal), pine nuts, rosemary and baking powder in a large bowl, mixing until the rosemary is evenly distributed throughout.
- Whisk eggs, sugar, oil and salt in a medium bowl just until combined and uniform (but not until the sugar dissolves).
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients to form a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and shape into a 12-by-2 1/2-inch log. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F. Slice the log crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices; place them cut-side down on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Turn over and continue baking for 10 minutes more. Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer the biscotti to a wire rack to cool completely.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store airtight at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Tip: Look for semolina flour, a nutty-tasting coarse flour milled from durum wheat, in natural-foods stores and Italian specialty markets.
Per biscotti: 153 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 21 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 7 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 121 mg sodium; 56 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 carbohydrate (other), 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Low carbohydrate
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, bars & cookies
- July/August 2010