Rosemary-Pine Nut Biscotti
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
These amazing olive oil biscotti are studded with rich, buttery-tasting pine nuts. Try them alongside fruit sorbet, cheese or summer peaches.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup semolina flour (see Tip) or fine cornmeal
- 2/3 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine all-purpose flour, semolina flour (or cornmeal), pine nuts, rosemary and baking powder in a large bowl, mixing until the rosemary is evenly distributed throughout.
- Whisk eggs, sugar, oil and salt in a medium bowl just until combined and uniform (but not until the sugar dissolves).
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients to form a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and shape into a 12-by-2 1/2-inch log. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F. Slice the log crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices; place them cut-side down on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Turn over and continue baking for 10 minutes more. Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer the biscotti to a wire rack to cool completely.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store airtight at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Tip: Look for semolina flour, a nutty-tasting coarse flour milled from durum wheat, in natural-foods stores and Italian specialty markets.
Per biscotti: 153 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 21 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 7 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 121 mg sodium; 56 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 carbohydrate (other), 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, bars & cookies
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Low carbohydrate
- July/August 2010