From EatingWell: March 1998
Fresh orange juice and rosemary make the perfect pan sauce for lean chicken breasts.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1-1 1/4 pounds total), trimmed
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon white-wine vinegar
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and sear until well browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and tent with foil.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add shallots and garlic. Cook, stirring, about 1 minute. Add orange juice and broth; bring to a simmer. Cook until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan; reduce heat to low. Simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a warmed platter. Stir butter, rosemary and vinegar into the sauce. Season with salt and pepper and spoon over the chicken.
Per serving: 193 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 65 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 0 g fiber; 199 mg sodium; 346 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- March 1998