Straight from the oven, this flatbread (actually a pizza crust with a light savory topping of onions and herbs) is a satisfying snack. Focaccia is equally at home on a party buffet or as an accompaniment to soups or salads.
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 package active dry yeast, (1 tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Cornmeal, for dusting baking sheet
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- To make dough: Stir together 2 1/2 cups flour, yeast, salt and rosemary in a large mixing bowl. Combine warm water, honey and oil in a small saucepan. Heat until warm to the touch (120 to 130°F). With a wooden spoon, gradually stir the liquid into the flour mixture. Stir vigorously until well mixed. Gradually work in the remaining 1/4 cup flour to make a firm, soft, smooth dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 8 to 10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic, adding additional flour as needed to prevent it from sticking. (Alternatively, combine all the flour with the yeast, salt and rosemary in a food processor. With the motor running, add the heated liquid ingredients and process until the dough forms a ball. Process for 1 minute to knead.)
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 1/2 hours, or until doubled in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Lightly spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and dust lightly with cornmeal.
- To make topping and bake focaccia: Heat oil over medium heat in a small nonstick skillet. Add onions and rosemary; sauté until the onions are light golden, about 5 minutes. Add water and simmer until all the liquid has evaporated, about 2 minutes. Let cool.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and, with floured hands, form the dough into a rectangular shape. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and press dough to cover the baking sheet. Brush egg white over the surface of the dough. Sprinkle the reserved onion mixture over the surface. Top with kosher salt and pepper. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into 8 or 16 pieces.
Per serving: 205 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 2 g fiber; 371 mg sodium; 138 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)