Roquefort, Pear & Watercress Salad
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
Walnuts do double-duty in this tasty pear and Roquefort salad—walnut oil gets whisked into the vinaigrette and toasted walnuts are sprinkled on top of the salad.
- 2 tablespoons strong brewed tea, preferably Earl Grey
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar, or Champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 cups washed, dried and torn red leaf lettuce
- 3 cups washed and dried watercress leaves
- 1 ripe pear, preferably red, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 ounce Roquefort cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon chopped toasted walnuts
- Whisk together tea, vinegar, oil, shallots, mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add lettuce and watercress together and toss to coat. Divide among 4 salad plates, decoratively arranging pear slices over the lettuce mix. Sprinkle cheese and walnuts on top and garnish with a grinding of pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 101 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 234 mg sodium; 200 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (58% daily value), Vitamin C (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- January/February 1994