Roquefort, Pear & Watercress Salad
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
Walnuts do double-duty in this tasty pear and Roquefort salad—walnut oil gets whisked into the vinaigrette and toasted walnuts are sprinkled on top of the salad.
- 2 tablespoons strong brewed tea, preferably Earl Grey
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar, or Champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 cups washed, dried and torn red leaf lettuce
- 3 cups washed and dried watercress leaves
- 1 ripe pear, preferably red, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 ounce Roquefort cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon chopped toasted walnuts
- Whisk together tea, vinegar, oil, shallots, mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add lettuce and watercress together and toss to coat. Divide among 4 salad plates, decoratively arranging pear slices over the lettuce mix. Sprinkle cheese and walnuts on top and garnish with a grinding of pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 101 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 234 mg sodium; 200 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (58% daily value), Vitamin C (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- January/February 1994