Roquefort, Pear & Watercress Salad
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
Walnuts do double-duty in this tasty pear and Roquefort salad—walnut oil gets whisked into the vinaigrette and toasted walnuts are sprinkled on top of the salad.
- 2 tablespoons strong brewed tea, preferably Earl Grey
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar, or Champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 cups washed, dried and torn red leaf lettuce
- 3 cups washed and dried watercress leaves
- 1 ripe pear, preferably red, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 ounce Roquefort cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon chopped toasted walnuts
- Whisk together tea, vinegar, oil, shallots, mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add lettuce and watercress together and toss to coat. Divide among 4 salad plates, decoratively arranging pear slices over the lettuce mix. Sprinkle cheese and walnuts on top and garnish with a grinding of pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 101 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 234 mg sodium; 200 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (58% daily value), Vitamin C (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- January/February 1994