Roquefort, Pear & Watercress Salad
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
Walnuts do double-duty in this tasty pear and Roquefort salad—walnut oil gets whisked into the vinaigrette and toasted walnuts are sprinkled on top of the salad.
- 2 tablespoons strong brewed tea, preferably Earl Grey
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar, or Champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 cups washed, dried and torn red leaf lettuce
- 3 cups washed and dried watercress leaves
- 1 ripe pear, preferably red, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 ounce Roquefort cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon chopped toasted walnuts
- Whisk together tea, vinegar, oil, shallots, mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add lettuce and watercress together and toss to coat. Divide among 4 salad plates, decoratively arranging pear slices over the lettuce mix. Sprinkle cheese and walnuts on top and garnish with a grinding of pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 101 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 234 mg sodium; 200 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (58% daily value), Vitamin C (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- January/February 1994