Roquefort, Pear & Watercress Salad
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
Walnuts do double-duty in this tasty pear and Roquefort salad—walnut oil gets whisked into the vinaigrette and toasted walnuts are sprinkled on top of the salad.
- 2 tablespoons strong brewed tea, preferably Earl Grey
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar, or Champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 cups washed, dried and torn red leaf lettuce
- 3 cups washed and dried watercress leaves
- 1 ripe pear, preferably red, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 ounce Roquefort cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon chopped toasted walnuts
- Whisk together tea, vinegar, oil, shallots, mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add lettuce and watercress together and toss to coat. Divide among 4 salad plates, decoratively arranging pear slices over the lettuce mix. Sprinkle cheese and walnuts on top and garnish with a grinding of pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 101 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 234 mg sodium; 200 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (58% daily value), Vitamin C (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- January/February 1994