I am a major appreciator of root vegetables. For this recipe I used parsnips, rutabagas, red beets, sweet potatoes and turnips. I really like Gruyere, one of the reasons I chose this recipe, but I think its flavor overwhelmed the vegetables. I made the cheese sauce a bit too thick so it made its own layer on top of the vegetables rather than mixing in, sort of like it's meant to do in pastitsio. I refrigerated the leftovers then peeled off the cheese and topping layer and reheated the vegetables on their own. Everyone liked it better that way. I think we just enjoy root vegetables too much on their own to appreciate them all tarted up.
Root Vegetable Gratin
From EatingWell: November/December 2008
The rich flavor of Gruyère cheese brings out the nutty flavor of the roots in this creamy gratin. Any combination of roots works in this recipe, but if you use red beets, they will streak the gratin with bright color. A delightful side dish for any roasted meat.
6 Reviews for Root Vegetable Gratin
I made this dish with beets, celeriac, turnips, rutabaga and carrot. I didn't have gruyere cheese so I used 1/2 romano and 1/2 Cabot garlic and herb cheddar. I was delicious! We all loved it and am making it again soon. Best to reheat in oven for left overs, not micro- came out great the next night as well. If you don't have a food processor to slice all the veggies it could be a bit time consuming though.
This took a lot of prep time, with peeling and cutting (esp. removing core of parsnips!)- but it was well worth it. Everyone at the family Thanksgiving loved it- even my husband, who doesn't care for turnip, beets or thyme!
Terrible,terrible, don't bother. Not worth all the work.
My husband and I think this dish is fantastic! Crunchy, rich crust with the delicious and colorful vegetables, it works great!
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- What Does a 1,500-Calorie Diet Look Like? (84 comments)
- EatingWell 28 Day Meal Plan Help (50 comments)
- EatingWell 7-Day Meal Plan Help (32 comments)
- Week #1: Are You Ready for a Change? (30 comments)
- Bottled Water vs. Tap (29 comments)
- EatingWell Magazine Digital Subscriptions or Single Issue Copies (28 comments)
- 3 Antidotes to Overeating (24 comments)
- The Wild Salmon Debate (21 comments)
- 7 Steps to Permanent Weight Loss (20 comments)
- Boost Fiber to Slim Down (18 comments)