Romanian Zucchini-Potato Latkes
From EatingWell: November/December 1990
Zucchini and potatoes combine perfectly in these tasty latkes. Serve with Quick Applesauce or reduced-fat sour cream.
- 2 pounds zucchini squash, peeled and seeded (4 medium)
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled (2 large)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2-3/4 cup matzo meal
- Shred zucchini, potatoes and onions by hand or in a food processor. Place the shredded vegetables in a clean dish towel and wring firmly to remove excess moisture. (You may need to do this in batches.)
- Place the shredded vegetables in a large bowl. Stir in whole egg, egg whites, 1 teaspoon oil, salt and pepper until well combined. Add 1/2 cup matzo meal and blend well. Add additional meal if needed to help the mixture hold together.
- Lightly brush a large nonstick skillet with some of the remaining oil and heat over medium heat until a drop of water sizzles when dropped on the surface of the pan. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls into the pan and flatten to form pancakes. Cook until the latkes are golden brown and the centers are cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Repeat until all the batter has been used, brushing pan with oil as needed to prevent sticking. Keep pancakes warm in a 200°F oven while the remaining ones are being prepared. Serve hot.
Per serving: 184 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 243 mg sodium; 715 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Eastern European/Russian
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Healthy Frying
- November/December 1990