Romanian Zucchini-Potato Latkes
From EatingWell: November/December 1990
Zucchini and potatoes combine perfectly in these tasty latkes. Serve with Quick Applesauce or reduced-fat sour cream.
- 2 pounds zucchini squash, peeled and seeded (4 medium)
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled (2 large)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2-3/4 cup matzo meal
- Shred zucchini, potatoes and onions by hand or in a food processor. Place the shredded vegetables in a clean dish towel and wring firmly to remove excess moisture. (You may need to do this in batches.)
- Place the shredded vegetables in a large bowl. Stir in whole egg, egg whites, 1 teaspoon oil, salt and pepper until well combined. Add 1/2 cup matzo meal and blend well. Add additional meal if needed to help the mixture hold together.
- Lightly brush a large nonstick skillet with some of the remaining oil and heat over medium heat until a drop of water sizzles when dropped on the surface of the pan. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls into the pan and flatten to form pancakes. Cook until the latkes are golden brown and the centers are cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Repeat until all the batter has been used, brushing pan with oil as needed to prevent sticking. Keep pancakes warm in a 200°F oven while the remaining ones are being prepared. Serve hot.
Per serving: 184 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 243 mg sodium; 715 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Eastern European/Russian
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Healthy Frying
- November/December 1990