Romanian Zucchini-Potato Latkes
From EatingWell: November/December 1990
Zucchini and potatoes combine perfectly in these tasty latkes. Serve with Quick Applesauce or reduced-fat sour cream.
- 2 pounds zucchini squash, peeled and seeded (4 medium)
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled (2 large)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2-3/4 cup matzo meal
- Shred zucchini, potatoes and onions by hand or in a food processor. Place the shredded vegetables in a clean dish towel and wring firmly to remove excess moisture. (You may need to do this in batches.)
- Place the shredded vegetables in a large bowl. Stir in whole egg, egg whites, 1 teaspoon oil, salt and pepper until well combined. Add 1/2 cup matzo meal and blend well. Add additional meal if needed to help the mixture hold together.
- Lightly brush a large nonstick skillet with some of the remaining oil and heat over medium heat until a drop of water sizzles when dropped on the surface of the pan. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls into the pan and flatten to form pancakes. Cook until the latkes are golden brown and the centers are cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Repeat until all the batter has been used, brushing pan with oil as needed to prevent sticking. Keep pancakes warm in a 200°F oven while the remaining ones are being prepared. Serve hot.
Per serving: 184 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 243 mg sodium; 715 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Eastern European/Russian
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Healthy Frying
- November/December 1990