Romanian Zucchini-Potato Latkes
From EatingWell: November/December 1990
Zucchini and potatoes combine perfectly in these tasty latkes. Serve with Quick Applesauce or reduced-fat sour cream.
- 2 pounds zucchini squash, peeled and seeded (4 medium)
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled (2 large)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2-3/4 cup matzo meal
- Shred zucchini, potatoes and onions by hand or in a food processor. Place the shredded vegetables in a clean dish towel and wring firmly to remove excess moisture. (You may need to do this in batches.)
- Place the shredded vegetables in a large bowl. Stir in whole egg, egg whites, 1 teaspoon oil, salt and pepper until well combined. Add 1/2 cup matzo meal and blend well. Add additional meal if needed to help the mixture hold together.
- Lightly brush a large nonstick skillet with some of the remaining oil and heat over medium heat until a drop of water sizzles when dropped on the surface of the pan. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls into the pan and flatten to form pancakes. Cook until the latkes are golden brown and the centers are cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Repeat until all the batter has been used, brushing pan with oil as needed to prevent sticking. Keep pancakes warm in a 200°F oven while the remaining ones are being prepared. Serve hot.
Per serving: 184 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 243 mg sodium; 715 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Eastern European/Russian
- Preparation/ Technique
- Healthy Frying
- November/December 1990