Romanian Zucchini-Potato Latkes
From EatingWell: November/December 1990
Zucchini and potatoes combine perfectly in these tasty latkes. Serve with Quick Applesauce or reduced-fat sour cream.
- 2 pounds zucchini squash, peeled and seeded (4 medium)
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled (2 large)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2-3/4 cup matzo meal
- Shred zucchini, potatoes and onions by hand or in a food processor. Place the shredded vegetables in a clean dish towel and wring firmly to remove excess moisture. (You may need to do this in batches.)
- Place the shredded vegetables in a large bowl. Stir in whole egg, egg whites, 1 teaspoon oil, salt and pepper until well combined. Add 1/2 cup matzo meal and blend well. Add additional meal if needed to help the mixture hold together.
- Lightly brush a large nonstick skillet with some of the remaining oil and heat over medium heat until a drop of water sizzles when dropped on the surface of the pan. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls into the pan and flatten to form pancakes. Cook until the latkes are golden brown and the centers are cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Repeat until all the batter has been used, brushing pan with oil as needed to prevent sticking. Keep pancakes warm in a 200°F oven while the remaining ones are being prepared. Serve hot.
Per serving: 184 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 243 mg sodium; 715 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Eastern European/Russian
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Healthy Frying
- November/December 1990