Romaine Salad with Orange, Feta & Beans
Adding canned beans is a quick, convenient way to make a salad into a meal—they boost the protein to make the salad more satisfying. This recipe calls for kidney beans, but other canned beans like cannellinis or black beans would also work nicely.
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 cup orange juice, preferably freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or 3/4 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 orange
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup sliced radishes
- 1 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1/4 cup Orange-Oregano Dressing
- To prepare dressing: Place orange zest, orange juice, vinegar, oil, oregano, mustard, salt and pepper in a jar. Cover and shake to combine.
- To prepare salad: Slice both ends off orange. With a sharp knife, remove the peel and white pith; discard. Working over a large bowl, cut the segments from their surrounding membrane. Squeeze the juice into the bowl before discarding the membrane, if desired. Add lettuce, radishes, beans, scallion, feta and dressing; toss to coat. (Refrigerate the extra dressing for up to 1 week.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The recipe makes 1 cup dressing (Step 1); cover and refrigerate extra dressing for up to 1 week.
Per serving: 235 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 14 g fiber; 708 mg sodium; 992 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (255% daily value), Vitamin C (100% dv), Folate (76% dv), Potassium (29% dv), Iron (19% dv), Calcium & Magnesium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 2 vegetables, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique