Romaine Salad with Orange, Feta & Beans
Adding canned beans is a quick, convenient way to make a salad into a meal—they boost the protein to make the salad more satisfying. This recipe calls for kidney beans, but other canned beans like cannellinis or black beans would also work nicely.
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 cup orange juice, preferably freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or 3/4 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 orange
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup sliced radishes
- 1 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1/4 cup Orange-Oregano Dressing
- To prepare dressing: Place orange zest, orange juice, vinegar, oil, oregano, mustard, salt and pepper in a jar. Cover and shake to combine.
- To prepare salad: Slice both ends off orange. With a sharp knife, remove the peel and white pith; discard. Working over a large bowl, cut the segments from their surrounding membrane. Squeeze the juice into the bowl before discarding the membrane, if desired. Add lettuce, radishes, beans, scallion, feta and dressing; toss to coat. (Refrigerate the extra dressing for up to 1 week.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The recipe makes 1 cup dressing (Step 1); cover and refrigerate extra dressing for up to 1 week.
Per serving: 235 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 14 g fiber; 708 mg sodium; 992 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (255% daily value), Vitamin C (100% dv), Folate (76% dv), Potassium (29% dv), Iron (19% dv), Calcium & Magnesium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 2 vegetables, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique