Romaine Salad with Orange, Feta & Beans
Adding canned beans is a quick, convenient way to make a salad into a meal—they boost the protein to make the salad more satisfying. This recipe calls for kidney beans, but other canned beans like cannellinis or black beans would also work nicely.
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 cup orange juice, preferably freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or 3/4 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 orange
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup sliced radishes
- 1 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1/4 cup Orange-Oregano Dressing
- To prepare dressing: Place orange zest, orange juice, vinegar, oil, oregano, mustard, salt and pepper in a jar. Cover and shake to combine.
- To prepare salad: Slice both ends off orange. With a sharp knife, remove the peel and white pith; discard. Working over a large bowl, cut the segments from their surrounding membrane. Squeeze the juice into the bowl before discarding the membrane, if desired. Add lettuce, radishes, beans, scallion, feta and dressing; toss to coat. (Refrigerate the extra dressing for up to 1 week.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The recipe makes 1 cup dressing (Step 1); cover and refrigerate extra dressing for up to 1 week.
Per serving: 235 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 14 g fiber; 708 mg sodium; 992 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (255% daily value), Vitamin C (100% dv), Folate (76% dv), Potassium (29% dv), Iron (19% dv), Calcium & Magnesium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 2 vegetables, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique