Romaine Salad with Orange, Feta & Beans
Adding canned beans is a quick, convenient way to make a salad into a meal—they boost the protein to make the salad more satisfying. This recipe calls for kidney beans, but other canned beans like cannellinis or black beans would also work nicely.
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 cup orange juice, preferably freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or 3/4 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 orange
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup sliced radishes
- 1 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1/4 cup Orange-Oregano Dressing
- To prepare dressing: Place orange zest, orange juice, vinegar, oil, oregano, mustard, salt and pepper in a jar. Cover and shake to combine.
- To prepare salad: Slice both ends off orange. With a sharp knife, remove the peel and white pith; discard. Working over a large bowl, cut the segments from their surrounding membrane. Squeeze the juice into the bowl before discarding the membrane, if desired. Add lettuce, radishes, beans, scallion, feta and dressing; toss to coat. (Refrigerate the extra dressing for up to 1 week.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The recipe makes 1 cup dressing (Step 1); cover and refrigerate extra dressing for up to 1 week.
Per serving: 235 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 14 g fiber; 708 mg sodium; 992 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (255% daily value), Vitamin C (100% dv), Folate (76% dv), Potassium (29% dv), Iron (19% dv), Calcium & Magnesium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 2 vegetables, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation