Romaine Salad with Garlic Dressing
This garlicky dressing is terrific simply tossed with romaine lettuce, but any sturdy lettuce you have on hand will do—particularly radicchio or escarole.
- 2 small heads garlic, separated into cloves
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons white-wine vinegar, or cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 anchovy fillets, rinsed and patted dry
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 cups washed, dried and torn romaine lettuce
- 1 small red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 6 anchovy fillets, rinsed, patted dry and cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- To make dressing: Bring unpeeled garlic cloves and broth to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Reduce heat to very low, cover and cook until the garlic is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove the garlic with a slotted spoon to a plate to cool for 2 minutes, reserving the cooking liquid. Add enough water to the cooking liquid to measure 1/4 cup.
- Squeeze the cooled garlic pulp out of the skins into a blender or food processor. Add the reserved cooking liquid, vinegar, oil, mustard and the 2 anchovies; process or blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- To make salad: Combine lettuce, onion and the dressing in a large bowl. Toss well and top with the 6 anchovies, Parmesan cheese and pepper.
Per serving: 127 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 460 mg sodium; 409 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (130% daily value), Vitamin C (55% dv), Folate (39% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique