Romaine Salad with Garlic Dressing
This garlicky dressing is terrific simply tossed with romaine lettuce, but any sturdy lettuce you have on hand will do—particularly radicchio or escarole.
- 2 small heads garlic, separated into cloves
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons white-wine vinegar, or cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 anchovy fillets, rinsed and patted dry
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 cups washed, dried and torn romaine lettuce
- 1 small red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 6 anchovy fillets, rinsed, patted dry and cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- To make dressing: Bring unpeeled garlic cloves and broth to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Reduce heat to very low, cover and cook until the garlic is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove the garlic with a slotted spoon to a plate to cool for 2 minutes, reserving the cooking liquid. Add enough water to the cooking liquid to measure 1/4 cup.
- Squeeze the cooled garlic pulp out of the skins into a blender or food processor. Add the reserved cooking liquid, vinegar, oil, mustard and the 2 anchovies; process or blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- To make salad: Combine lettuce, onion and the dressing in a large bowl. Toss well and top with the 6 anchovies, Parmesan cheese and pepper.
Per serving: 127 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 460 mg sodium; 409 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (130% daily value), Vitamin C (55% dv), Folate (39% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique