Romaine Salad with Garlic Dressing
This garlicky dressing is terrific simply tossed with romaine lettuce, but any sturdy lettuce you have on hand will do—particularly radicchio or escarole.
- 2 small heads garlic, separated into cloves
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons white-wine vinegar, or cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 anchovy fillets, rinsed and patted dry
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 cups washed, dried and torn romaine lettuce
- 1 small red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 6 anchovy fillets, rinsed, patted dry and cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- To make dressing: Bring unpeeled garlic cloves and broth to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Reduce heat to very low, cover and cook until the garlic is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove the garlic with a slotted spoon to a plate to cool for 2 minutes, reserving the cooking liquid. Add enough water to the cooking liquid to measure 1/4 cup.
- Squeeze the cooled garlic pulp out of the skins into a blender or food processor. Add the reserved cooking liquid, vinegar, oil, mustard and the 2 anchovies; process or blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- To make salad: Combine lettuce, onion and the dressing in a large bowl. Toss well and top with the 6 anchovies, Parmesan cheese and pepper.
Per serving: 127 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 460 mg sodium; 409 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (130% daily value), Vitamin C (55% dv), Folate (39% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less