Romaine Salad with Garlic Dressing
This garlicky dressing is terrific simply tossed with romaine lettuce, but any sturdy lettuce you have on hand will do—particularly radicchio or escarole.
- 2 small heads garlic, separated into cloves
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons white-wine vinegar, or cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 anchovy fillets, rinsed and patted dry
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 cups washed, dried and torn romaine lettuce
- 1 small red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 6 anchovy fillets, rinsed, patted dry and cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- To make dressing: Bring unpeeled garlic cloves and broth to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Reduce heat to very low, cover and cook until the garlic is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove the garlic with a slotted spoon to a plate to cool for 2 minutes, reserving the cooking liquid. Add enough water to the cooking liquid to measure 1/4 cup.
- Squeeze the cooled garlic pulp out of the skins into a blender or food processor. Add the reserved cooking liquid, vinegar, oil, mustard and the 2 anchovies; process or blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- To make salad: Combine lettuce, onion and the dressing in a large bowl. Toss well and top with the 6 anchovies, Parmesan cheese and pepper.
Per serving: 127 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 460 mg sodium; 409 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (130% daily value), Vitamin C (55% dv), Folate (39% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique